Music Banter - View Single Post - Current 93
Thread: Current 93
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2009, 09:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
lucifer_sam
Unrepentant Ass-Mod

Default Current 93

I honestly don't know what took me so long to get into this band, it's some of the most wonderful experimental music I've heard. (There's no thread on this band, really? This shit is right up ca's alley.)

For those of you not in the loop, it's largely a fellow by the name of David Tibet and he's been doing this project forever (or at least since 1982). He's released music across all spectra of genre: from early nihilist tape-loop ramblings to neofolk to some hauntingly beautiful piano compositions. He's collaborated with Stephen Stapleton () a number of times, among other legends of the onerous and unusual. I suppose a good approximation of his music would be Sun City Girls meets Bauhaus, but his music broaches the accessible numerous times.

I'm probably not doing Current 93 nearly enough justice with this post, I've only digested a few of his albums so far, but already this guy is starting to grow on me. His discography is enormous, but here's a few of the records that have really grabbed me so far:

Dogs Blood Rising (1984)
Thunder Perfect Mind (1992)
Soft Black Stars (1999)
Black Ships Ate The Sky (2006)

Any other fans out there?