Music Banter - View Single Post - Top 100 ***est Albums Ever
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2009, 08:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Cris Williamson, The Changer and the Changed, 1975
Patti Smith, Horses, 1975
Rufus Wainwright, Poses, 2001

Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Welcome to the Pleasuredome, 1984
Kate Bush, Hounds of Love, 1985
“What I love about this album is essentially what I love about being ***. It's eccentric, wildly imaginative, and has a completely naive view of the world in which it exists. In Kate Bush's conceptual world the clouds make magical shapes in the sky, God can change the place of a man and a woman, and innocence is lost only to give way to the beauty of romance. I paint the memory of my coming out in similarly vibrant and violent colors.” -- Darren Hayes, pop singer, formerly of Savage Garden
Culture Club, Colour by Numbers, 1983
Tori Amos, Little Earthquakes, 1992
“A song has the ability to convey so many emotions, and that’s exactly what this exquisite album does. It takes you on a very powerful journey.” -- Perez Hilton, blogger
David Bowie, Diamond Dogs, 1974
Team Dresch, Personal Best, 1994
Prince, Dirty Mind, 1980
Liz Phair, Exile in Guyville, 1993
Bronski Beat, The Age of Consent, 1984
“It was the first overtly political queer album. It saved lives and broke hearts.” -- Kiki and Herb’s Justin Bond
R.E.M., Automatic for the People, 1992

Sleater-Kinney, Dig Me Out, 1997
Jeff Buckley, Grace, 1994
“My first boyfriend lived in New York City when we met, and he insisted I buy this cassette. Jeff’s angelic voice and soul-wrenching lyrics touched my heart immediately. During my first trip to New York to visit said boyfriend, he and I got into a huge fight. While I was wandering alone around the East Village, I ran into Jeff outside a music venue. I told him I loved his music. He told me he loved my shirt. I immediately tracked down the boyfriend for make-up sex.” -- Darryl Stephens, Noah’s Arc
Björk, Debut, 1993
Patti Smith, Easter, 1978
Le Tigre, Le Tigre, 1999
“It was the soundtrack to the queer cultural landscape of the late ’90s. It inspired countless girls to pick up instruments and give a **** about what was going on. It was riot grrrl with a bit more technology and dance appeal.” -- Scream Club
Soft Cell, Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret, 1981
Of all the new wave albums to have conquered the charts, Soft Cell’s debut is the most deliciously sleazy: It sounds as though it was recorded in a Times Square peep-show booth. Known primarily for the album’s massive synth-pop reworking of Gloria Jones’s cult soul classic “Tainted Love,” the British duo of queer singer Marc Almond and keyboardist Dave Ball also documents the last *** gasp of pre-AIDS abandon in tracks like “Seedy Films” and “Sex Dwarf” as well as the sobering mornings after in “Bedsitter.” Almond misses notes but, more important, nails the tenderness at the heart of the hedonism.
Hüsker Dü, Candy Apple Grey, 1986
Nirvana, Nevermind, 1991
Frances Faye, Caught in the Act, 1959
Perhaps the most unjustly forgotten nightclub singer in queer history, Frances Faye was a brassy bisexual broad whose act was equal parts cabaret and comedy, a mischievous love child of Mae West and Cole Porter. Caught in the Act -- a live recording from 1958 featuring her wild versions of “Night and Day” and “The Man I Love” -- is rare, undeniable evidence that her fans, including Rock Hudson, Barbara Stanwyck, and even Paul McCartney, were in on all the dirty jokes. In “Frances and Her Friends” anything goes: “I know a guy named Willie / Willie goes with Tilly / Tilly goes with Millie / What a ball!” And the crowd goes wild.
Rent original Broadway cast, Rent, 1996

Elton John, Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy, 1975
Donna Summer, Once Upon a Time, 1977
various artists, Fame soundtrack, 1980
Michael Jackson, Off the Wall, 1979
Carole King, Tapestry, 1971
Ani DiFranco, Imperfectly, 1992
New Order, Substance, 1987
various artists, The Rocky Horror Picture Show soundtrack, 1975
"I was a regular Rocky midnight attendee by the time I was 11 (courtesy of my best friend's hippie Mom). Now I'm a singin' dancin' tranny with a penchant for tranny girls in fishnets. You do the math." -- Sean Dorsey (trans choreographer, dancer, and Artistic Director Fresh Meat Productions) and Shawna Virago (trans rock star, activist, Director Tranny Fest)
T. Rex, Electric Warrior, 1971
Rufus Wainwright, Want One, 2003

Scissor Sisters, Ta-Dah, 2006
Cher, Believe, 1998
Bette Midler, The Divine Miss M, 1972
Cyndi Lauper, True Colors, 1986
Nina Simone, Anthology, 2003
Madonna, Madonna, 1983
"I was in love with her. I never wanted to be her but I definitely wanted to hold hands. I still have my Like A Virgin tour t-shirt. I can tell you what I wore to the concert but that might be really saying too much. One word... AWKWARD!" -- Melissa York, drummer for the Butchies and Team Dresch
Madonna , Confessions on a Dance Floor, 2005
Hüsker Dü, Zen Arcade, 1984
Fifth Column, To Sir With Hate, 1986
Kate Bush, The Kick Inside, 1978
"This is frilly and gorgeous and even new agey but for some reason also 'hip' so i was able to drench myself in it without worrying about getting beaten up." -- Nils Berstein, Matador Records

Grace Jones, Nightclubbing, 1981
Morrissey, Viva Hate, 1988
Sade, Lovers Rock, 2000
Hair original Broadway cast, Hair, 1968
Culture Club, Kissing to Be Clever, 1982
Nick Drake, Bryter Layter, 1970
Janis Ian, Between the Lines, 1975
Ferron, Testimony, 1980
Joni Mitchell, For the Roses, 1972
"An album to play alone in your bedroom when the phone doesn’t ring after your virginity is gone." -- Tom Kalin, director Savage Grace
The Beatles, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, 1967
“I couldn’t help being influenced by this truly trailblazing album by the ultimate pop group who was managed by a *** man, Brian Epstein. The world would have missed this cultural watershed without his influence.” -- Holly Johnson, Frankie Goes to Hollywood