Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Computer Tech Support Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2009, 09:15 PM   #211 (permalink)
CAPTAIN CAVEMAN
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
Ouch. Any idea on what the new problems are?
I assume you mean XP's recovery console on the CD for the repairs right? Is the computer unable to start at all? Usually you'd use the recovery console only if you're not able to start up your computer via normal startup or in safe mode. Typically the things you'll use the recovery console are to replace system files with recovery system files in the windows recovery folder, or modify files in particular ways.

If you don't mind, I'd love to offer some help in regards to your problem. The least I could do is point you in the right direction.
yeah, that must've been it. wasn't my idea, i didn't even know it existed, haha.

on top of the not being able to system restore, apparently internet explorer wasn't working in specific situations. i don't use it so it didn't bug me, but still. for some reason the program media monkey refused to open for me (if i hadn't mentioned that already); i'm sure there was more but i can't recall because it wasn't happening to me.

anyhow, we backed up our **** on an external drive and just reformatted the hard drive. maybe overkill, but there was a lot of crap on it (had like 5 gb free) anyways and everything seems to be working fine now. funny thing is i'm just going to stick with using this new media player foobar2000 instead of WMP.

so it all worked out pretty well. thanks though - much appreciated!
CAPTAIN CAVEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote