Music Banter - View Single Post - Which Form Of Music Has The Most Ridiculous Sub-genres?
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2009, 10:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
CAPTAIN CAVEMAN
Account Disabled

if you aren't familiar with any of it then of course you're going to think its ridiculous. but to me and many others, sludge, crust, powerviolence, thrashcore, metalcore, deathcore, etc., etc., etc. - any other genre you deem "ridiculous" - mean very discernably different things. you wouldn't think its ridiculous if you listened to it enough to appreciate the differences. and if you don't then what does it even matter?

to me genre isnt so much about concrete, specific boundaries as a compact description on which to base expectations. so while i wouldn't consider "vegan edgecore" a "legitimate" genre per se (and not that i can say i have ever seen it used...), i would expect something more specific than if you simply described a band as hardcore - which covers a huge amount of subgenres.

and as such my answer to the question is none. i know electronica has a huge amount of subgenres possibly rivaling metal/punk, but as i am not familiar with them i'm not going to discount them as ridiculous. i think it's only rational for you (the plural) to take the same stance.
CAPTAIN CAVEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote