Music Banter - View Single Post - Sugar's Journey into the Unknown
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2009, 06:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Arya Stark
"Hermione-Lite"

Default Sugar's Journey into the Unknown

Sugar's Journey into the Unknown

As many of you might know, I don't listen to a lot of the music that's popular with the Music Banter members.
The music I know best is probably one of the most unpopular and least accepted types of music on the forums.
The other music I know well is classified under pop, and since it's overplayed and often looked down upon, it's the first music recognized if I list any of it in my interests.

Generally, this is what I've been listening to lately.

Coheed and Cambria
Lady Gaga
Chiodos
Green Day
Beirut
Citizen Cope
Emarosa

Now, am I against listening to other types of music? Of course not.
Would I be considered differently than other members because of some of the music on my list? Absolutely.
I was told once that most people with my music taste would essentially be made fun of on these forums, and that it was good that I kept my music tastes on the "DL."
Obviously I did that on purpose, but I shouldn't have to.
I don't listen to the Beatles, I don't listen to Radiohead, etc.
It's not because I hate them, it's because I just don't listen to them.
Okay well... I really don't like the Beatles, but that's not the point.
I don't CHOOSE not to broaden my horizons. I listen to a song. I like it. I keep listening. It just so happens that the people I'm around listen to music that I happen to like, and that music is often today's "emo" while the music I dance, drink, party to is today's "pop."
I’d just like to say, that I’m not ashamed of what I listen to. I’m not ashamed at all. So that’s not the point of broadening my horizons. Instead, it’s the fact that I should know about the music everyone’s talking about. I should have something to say in more threads, I need to be more knowledgeable.

"Have you heard Mezzanine by Massive Attack? Everyone should have that album, I reckon."

Have I heard it? Nope.
Have I heard of it? Nope.
Does everyone have it? Probably.
So I'll take a journey into the unknown, at least to me.
I'll take what everyone knows, I'll take what no one knows, I just have to broaden my horizons.
Here goes...

MB Journal.
Azucar y Especia. My blog.
Arya Stark is offline   Reply With Quote