Music Banter - View Single Post - Beach house
Thread: Beach house
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2009, 05:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
Farfisa
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainClams View Post
Hey man, cool to see another Marylander around. As for good music to come out of this ****ty state these days, Baltimore has had a growing music scene over the last decade or so. There's Lungfish, who are pretty incredible, if you like their genre. And Wye Oak, who, if you like Beach House, you would probably love. Double Dagger is a pretty phenomenal Baltimore post-punk group..

But one of the coolest things about most Baltimore bands, I've noticed, is their uniform gratitude to Baltimore. In the liner notes to a lot of the Baltimore-based albums I have, there is a huge mention of their hometown somewhere in there, which is nice to see. I mean, of course, I'm not saying bands from other cities don't do that sort of thing, but Baltimore bands seem to be very enthusiastic about their city.

(And dude, if you count Washington D.C. as a part of Maryland like I do, there's some serious bands from there. Fugazi, Dismemberment Plan, Nation of Ulysses, Minor Threat, etc.)
I've heard of Wye Oak and Lungfish, but I'm more interested in what bands from Philly are pushing out. These days I'm more upset about not being able to go into DC or Baltimore City for a show and worry about being mugged walking down the street than about what Baltimore based bands are putting out, it's ****ing rediculous. My Uncle and his girlfriend used to live on the same street as the Ottobar and they've had shootouts down the street and *******s trying to break in quite frequently.
Farfisa is offline   Reply With Quote