Music Banter - View Single Post - What's the sound in my headphones today?
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2009, 06:00 PM   #176 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

Velvet Cacoon - Genevieve

Outfits such as Mount Eerie have dabbled in Black Metal recently but hat's off to duo Velvet Cacoon who have dabbled and destroyed the genre's limitations with just one release. Black Metal is barely the most attractive of genres with images of Satan worshipping, guttural vocals and ridiculous imagery yet the genre has given us some brilliantly atmospheric bands such as Agalloch and now you can add VC to the list.

Giving the album a Black Metal tag is a huge disservice to this elusive duo who have delivered a deeply atmospheric, unclassifiable album that has it's roots in Dark Ambience moreso than the usual cliches of the genre.

Trying to find info about them on the net is a huge conundrum in itself as hearsay and conjecture have forced the band to be ostracised from the genre and the fact that they rarely self promote or play gigs only add to this.

What we have is an album that is insidiously creepy, yet refreshingly free from genre trappings with conventional riffs and song structure thrown out of the window. Instead we have an album that is stupendously heavy yet also easy on the ear and perfect headphone music.

The vocals are pushed way down in the mix as are the drums which results in a drone like sound that swallows you and takes you to some very dark places.

The only info I managed to get was this fascinating interview with the duo that is so unlike any interview I have read before:
VELVET CACOON Interview - Full Moon Productions - FMP666.com

Whilst not always agreeing with everything that is said, I found this absorbing reading and yet another example that music is a strange and wonderous beast with bands always pushing the envelope and having a decent amount of intelligence to back up their convictions.

Don't let the term Black Metal put you off at all when listening to this band as they are something else entirely and they have a uniqueness to both their music and attitude that makes me sit up and take notice amidst the bland copy cat crap that you have to trawl through to find something just that little bit different.

I do implore you to read the interview which provides some much needed background on the band.

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote