Music Banter - View Single Post - 5 Must-hear albums for a hip-hop newbie?
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2009, 10:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Jester
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason86 View Post
Jester's list was great, some others:

Outkast - Stankonia
Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions
A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders
The Roots - Things Fall Apart
Wu-Tang - 36 Chambers
Nice list, I meant to mention Public Enemy in my list, (I did mention that he got the wrong album).

Zeppy, with Outkast, Public Enemy and A Tribe Called Quest, just go in chronological order for their albums. Outkast's first four albums, Public Enemy's first four albums, and A Tribe Called Quest's first three albums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuzuka Skysword View Post
The essentials of hip-hop, and I mean the bare essentials:

Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions
De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising
Nas - Illmatic
NWA - Straight Outta' Compton

I think all of these albums have been said, but I think that if you don't have these five in your collection then you cannot talk hip-hop. You may not like the gangsta' image, but you have to appreciate Straight Outta' Compton. These aren't my favorite or best albums. They are simply albums that you have to listen to and know in order to know hip-hop.
As right as you are, the only reason I didn't recommend those right off the bat was because he'd come across them undoubtedly if he's deciding to explore hip hop, you know? That, and with everyone I've helped get into hip hop, those didn't seem like the best entry points.

That said: Inuzuka is absolutely right, zeppy.

By the way, if you have MSN, you can just add me on it. (Same goes for anyone else.) - travis.is.lame@live.com
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote