Music Banter - View Single Post - 5 Must-hear albums for a hip-hop newbie?
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2009, 04:11 PM   #19 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Well considering jackhammer already mentioned Will Rap For Food by Cunninlynguists I won't bother to add one on my list because it's probably the best place to start with them. Anyhow here's my list with a little explanation for my reasons:

Blackalicious - Blazing Arrows

This is definitely one of the best albums of this decade. It's one of those rare hip hop albums that gets appraisal from both independent and mainstream magazines. Gift of Gab is just starting to really show his true talent and potential as a wicked MC. Chief Xcel does a great job at mixing old jazz, soul, and R&B sounds with hip-hop beats. An amazing album that really doesn't get mentioned a lot on here, much to my annoyance.

Aesop Rock - Labor Days

Yeah... nothing this guy has done so far has topped this monolith of an album. Some amazingly abstract lyrics but with a fierce and intricate delivery that makes him easily distinguishable from any other white hip hop artist out there (because they all sound the same, honkeys...)

MF Grimm - The Downfall of Ibilyis: A Ghetto Opera

The album that MF Grimm recorded in a day while out on $100,000 dollar day bail for a life sentence. It features lyrics that you'd figure would be on a gangsta-rap album, yet it's different. It's hard to describe because his sincerity seems so weird after most gangsta hip hop artists.

Busdriver - Fear of a Black Tangent

OK so some people may question my inclusion of Busdriver on this list. True he has some incredible skill when it comes to spitting some hot ass ****, but at the same time it can be quite eclectic and... really really strange. However if you're trying to get in, then it may just be the thing to show to someone with so many options.

Soul Position - 8 Million Stories

Some of the best blend of funky styled "g-funk" without the gangsta lyrics always followed. Awesome sound production all the way through and overall some incredible lyrics.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote