Music Banter - View Single Post - Do you think rap and pop are a bad influence?
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2009, 05:33 AM   #19 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSchmidt View Post
Everybody knows that the drugs they talk about in songs are not talking about medication.

Music is music I guess. I'm not talking about just music. Movies, pictures, AND songs can influence the way people dress and act. 'Emo' is apparently a genre. Do you think 'emo' was a genre in the year 1990?

^^^
That's my point I'm trying to get across.
I don't remember really hearing about emo before the mid-90s but it certainly could have been a genre label as early as 1990. Not really sure of the relevance to this particular conversation though I have to say.

Quote:
Lady Gaga turns Christmas into a sex-related parody. CHRISTmas tree. Go listen to "Christmas Tree" by Lady Gaga and you'll see what I mean. In my opinion, Christ should'nt have anything to do with sex besides the fact that Jesus was born on that day.
I'm not a religious person so it's difficult for me to imaging caring about something like that. It is worth noting though that Christmas trees are not Christian in origin and Jesus, if he existed, was not actually born on December 25.

Quote:
I'm not saying that getting high or having sex shouldn't exist in songs, but some music artists take those theories a little far. I guarentee if you were to take the lyrics out of all of those songs, you wouldn't see some of the things you see on Youtube, movies, etc.

Media has a major influence on people. And my question was "Do you think pop and rap are a bad influence?"

I'm sorry; I should've said MEDIA IN GENERAL. My mistake.

I didn't make this thread to get bashed at. That wasn't my intention.
I disagree with your premise that media has a major influence on people because it's far too vague a statement to be meaningful, but suffice it say that art which talks about substance abuse and sex has been around for thousands of years so I'm not very worried that it will ever destroy society.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote