Music Banter - View Single Post - John Cale - A few albums
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2009, 08:31 PM   #37 (permalink)
4ZZZ
Forever young

Fragments For A Rainy Season DVD. 1992

Though not strictly an album a review of this is warranted.

A live album recording from Cales European tour of 1992 with this concert in Brussels. There is also a CD of the same name from 1992 available with 20 tracks as opposed to this that has 16. As I have stated often live recordings are generally fan fodder but any admirers of the great Cale would be doing themselves a huge injustice not to track down this. This has many fine songs with Cales voice in fine form and his piano playing, to my ears and eyes, superb. Some could also accuse this of being just another best of set done acoustically but this holds no water with me. I have always liked artists striping back their songs to the bare bones as it gives us the listener, a chance to see of the songs stand up. Cales songs being of a compositional nature do.

It is Cale who has claimed in interviews that he is a composer as opposed to a song writer. There are those that could ask what the difference is but it is watching him perform various songs from his and other repertoires and how he can manipulate them in an entirely differing manner that stands out in my opinion. As an example it is hard to imagine say Thunderstruck being anything other than a rock song in the key of E whereas Fear and Paris 1919, so admirably performed on here in a stripped back manner with just voice and piano, show that Cale is a seriously good composer with the songs transformed. Fear I might add has Cale giving his piano an almighty clunking thrashing at the end as he screams the lyric in a startling manner.
All bar three of the songs presented are with voice and piano with 3 others covered with an Acoustic Guitar. As well as Fear and Paris 1919 other stand out songs are Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Cordoba, the sublimely brilliant (I Keep A) Close Watch and a splendid cover of Cohen's Hallelujah. See Gavin B's previous post. I agree with his sentiments 100%. This song is made for Cale's vocal and to quote Gavin B "Cale's version directs the attention of the listener to the beauty of Cohen's lyric and music. And as Frank Sinatra once said, a good vocalist showcases the song, not his voice."

For the fan an excellent DVD to add to their collection. Highly recommended.