Music Banter - View Single Post - The Dillinger Escape Plan
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2009, 06:47 PM   #40 (permalink)
ElephantSack
Man vs. Wild Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikazi Kat View Post
I don't know why everybody seems to think that their earlier albums are more technical, the chaotic songs on Ire Works beat the hell out of their older material for me. Maybe the focus was less on being technical for the sake of being technical, but the songs felt more chaotic then ever before and the parts that were technical were some of the most insane stuff the band ever played.

I do like Gil Sharon's drumming much better though, it feels much more loose and jazzy, less controlled. But I think a good portion of this has to do with the band's shift in songwriting style. I might have to double check this, but I'm pretty sure Chris Pennie wrote the drum parts for most of the songs. I think Gil wrote Horse Hunter, Mouth of Ghosts, and Dead as History, I may be wrong though.
Right on. Well, you probably know more about it than I do. I just listen to shit like "The Mullet Burden", "43% Burnt" and "Under the Running Board", and I don't know, maybe it's because it was back when they had more of a "hardcore" edge to their sound. Which is why so-called purists reject their newer material. You know, typical self-righteous rhetoric.

But yeah. Gil Sharon's style is definitely more jazz-influenced. I think he might have come from a jazz background, actually. I remember reading that him and his brothers were in a jazz-based band before The D.E.P. got him. Not to say that Chris Pennie wasn't awesome. He was just more rigid, in my opinion.