Music Banter - View Single Post - Artists That 'Overdo It'
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2009, 06:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
DiSTANToblivion
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuzuka Skysword View Post
Tool is the epitome of a band that overdoes it. They are extremely pretentious when it comes to their lyrics and song structure. I actually appreciate Adam Jones's guitar and Maynard's voice sometimes hits it. They are listenable.

Dream Theater is a wankfest for the sake of being a wankfest. When it comes to muscianship, they overdo it.

Those are obvious, but they weren't mentioned yet.
I love both Tool and Dream Theater and I don't agree with either points you make. That being said though...

Tool are not overly pretentious to me but I can see how Dream Theater can come across as being a wankfest. I look at it like this, as Lateralus said with artists being dramatic, Dream Theater just like to create big epic pieces of music. They can also create songs that are more accessible though, and aren't afraid to do that.

As much as I love Dream Theater and the song 'The Count Of Tuscany' there is a part in the song that annoys me, just before the final closing part (my favourite part of the song). Before the end there is this really mellow trippy instrumental moment, it goes for far too long in my opinion. Watching them live everyone was really into the song but when that part kicked in it was like a buzzkill. Maybe they just wanted to throw everything into that song. Besides that it is an epic close to that album.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveissucide View Post
U2.Any sense of energy and vitality in their contemporary music is devoid due to the overproduction of their post-Achtung Baby work. Although The Joshua Tree and Rattle And Hum are a bit bombastic for my liking as well.
DiSTANToblivion is offline   Reply With Quote