Music Banter - View Single Post - Sugar's Journey into the Unknown
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 05:08 PM   #44 (permalink)
Arya Stark
"Hermione-Lite"

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
I try to take expand my horizons by following a kind of progression. I'll listen to a band, find something similar, listen to that, find something similar, get into to and so on. Years later, I look at what I like the most now and what I liked when I was first into music and the bands are totally different, yet I can still see the similarities. I find it very hard to step completely out of my element. Chances are if you are just starting to expand, totally changing your tastes will not happen.

So you like Coheed? I love Coheed...I started listening to Coheed because of my love for Rush. Awesome guitars and high distinctive vocals led to an interest in that. Maybe for you it can be reversed...check out the albums Moving Pictures and 2112.

Now, if you want to go a bit more extreme and don't mind heavy more check out Opeth. Very progressive. Amazing AMAZING guitar work. One thing that throws people about this band is the death metal vocals...but he only uses them when they suit that music because he actually uses clean vocals a bit more than the growl. Check out the album Ghost Reveries if that sounds interesting to you.

These albums may not be totally out of your element, but it is a definite expansion. Check these out and then I think one day you will LOVE Mezzanine just because your ear will be tuned more to pick up the subtleties of the music.
Thank you for commenting.
I did try listening to Rush, and I wasn't really into them, I don't know what it was, but maybe I'll try one of the albums you mentioned, anyway. Opeth is an amazing band, I've hears some of their work already, and I'd love to listen to some more, so thank you for that recommendation.
I've actually literally trained myself aurally, so that's not the problem here.
It's more a thing of the mind.
And I suppose I gave off the wrong idea, because I really liked Mezzanine. I'm not sure if you read the whole review through, because it's really long, but it was an album I really want to own.

To Everyone
: I'm not sure this whole idea was taken in quite the way I intended for it to be taken. I mean to broaden my horizons, but I also want to learn to judge music more open mindedly. So the judgments are more for myself to read over than for you to take seriously. I'm taking first impressions of everything, and realizing how I percieve what I listen to at first, and I need to take a step back, and approach with an open mind.
I'm sure if you all notice, you may see that I'm excited to find out how I'm approaching each song differently as the albums progress.

MB Journal.
Azucar y Especia. My blog.
Arya Stark is offline   Reply With Quote