Music Banter - View Single Post - Expeditions Into India: An Exploration of History's Most Enchanting Music
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 06:37 PM   #21 (permalink)
someonecompletelyrandom
Account Disabled

Chapter II
After my very pleasent meeting with Sachdev, I was eager to hear more. Though he was a frail old man, he promised to show me some more of what India had to offer. With the aid of three of his fellow players, we set about the small town in which I had arrived. We were going to meet a man who was in town to visit Sachdev, an old friend.

When I asked him how long he had known this man, he simply responded with "Very long." I tried to press him for more information, as I was eager to meet him. "He is a player of the Veena. The best the world has seen."

Imagine my excitement when I was told this man was the greatest Veena player ever to live!

"You mean to tell me that we are meeting the greatest Veena player alive?"

"I did not say he was alive."

I was bewildered. What did my guide mean?

"How are we to meet this man?"

"Just because we can not see him, does not mean he isn't present."

"Veena" Chitti Babu - Musings of a Musician

1. Theme No. 1- Ranjamala
2. Theme No. 2- Bahudari
3. Theme No. 3- Virahini
4. Theme No. 4- Ullasini
5. Theme No. 5- Krishna Namam
6. Rhythm Indiaiva
7. Fond Memories
8. Wedding Bells
9. Reverie
10. Of the Rocks
11. Jai Bharat
12. Ragam Thanam Pallavi (Part 1)
13. Ragam Thanam Pallavi (Part 2)

Carnatic music from South India. When a man's name has become synonymous with his craft, in this case, the Veena, you know it has to be good. Often called the Ravi Shankar of the instrument, 'Veena' was a truly accomplished musician who died far before his time. The fruits of his labor, I present to you.

Last edited by someonecompletelyrandom; 12-30-2009 at 10:53 PM.
someonecompletelyrandom is offline   Reply With Quote