Music Banter - View Single Post - Music Club
Thread: Music Club
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 09:45 PM   #105 (permalink)
Dieselboy
Music Addict

Ok, just finished listening to this all the way through with a few rewinds here and there.

First of all, I'll explain what I knew about Bikini Kill before getting this album: Feminist. That's it. Whenever I heard this bands name mentioned that word was nearly always included. I personally am not a feminist, so this just made me steer completely clear of Bikini Kill, and so I knew nothing of them at all. Honestly, I always sorta pictured them as sorta Bjork sounding (crazy I know), but never actually had any real idea.

So then I got this and put it on. It sounds nothing like Bjork. I would not know that this was a feminist band from this first listen if I was going in blind. And...I actually enjoyed it. I can't believe I would ever say, "I enjoy Bikini Kill." but yeah.

I'm not gonna do a song by song breakdown, cause most of the songs are less than 2:30 minutes and I've only listened once so far, but here's some initial thoughts:

- Off the bat I was surprised by the snotty punk attitude that started when I hit play. Almost like a female version of the Sex Pistols? Like I was listening to Johnny's sister Janette Rotten filling in for her brothers band or something, I donno.

- After the first two songs I thought, "Well this is cool, but I've heard enough punk albums to know...after you've heard the first couple songs on an album, you've more or less heard them all." I was wrong again. There's actually quite a bit of variety as far as tempo of the songs. False Start, for example, is very mellow and just...cool sounding (was that a xylophone I heard in the background?). The song reminded me alot of something that could come off of Ash's 1977 CD...an album I really enjoy. False Start was probably my favorite song on here from the 1st listen.

- I like the way her voice almost sounds like its cracking while she screams/sings in songs like Jet Ski and Tony Randall. Very cool, and not something you here often.

- Some of the songs like R.I.P. had a complete stops in the music that made me think the song was finished. I'd check to see what song was next, only to realize that I was just halfway through the current song. Interesting...sorta annoying. /shrug

- This disc is so short that it actually ends before there's even a chance that you could be tired of listening to it. In fact, I think that the final two songs on here, Reject All American and Finale, were my 2nd and 3rd favorites respectively. It definitely ends on a high note with finale, with the same snotty attitude that you heard on at the start.

So yeah, not what I was expecting at all. I actually think I'll be giving this repeated listens, as it seems worthy. Good pick to whoever put it in.

Last edited by Dieselboy; 12-30-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Dieselboy is offline   Reply With Quote