Music Banter - View Single Post - The louder the lie, the better believed
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 10:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
midnight rain
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
There have been pages written here debunking the heresay thats put up as fact by the OP.

Do yourself a favor friends. If you think this has merit, go research it. Don't listen to what some hippy-throw back professor tells you, or whats a surface glance wikipedia search will give you.

All attempts to paint rock music as the great continuation of racism in the US (the presumed country) is foolish, and to stroll onto a site that deals with music primarily and assume this hasn't been discussed before as if you're some sort of enlightened prophet speaks volumes about the mindset of the OP.

All the best, though.

Edit: I also wanted to add this in.

If Rock is an offbeat marriage between Country and Blues, I'm wondering how White people wouldn't have been included. Did Black people invent country music as well?

The real racism here comes from needing to assign race elements to the experience at all. Do you gain anything from the music by know who created what, and from where? Maybe in a historical context but certainly not to experience the music.

Where we stand today with "rock" music has influences from just about every root/folk music from every nation you can imagine. So it would boggle my mind to think rock music holds racism at all. It seems to exist without the awareness of race and yet every so often we get some Musical Appreciation Major on here who needs to let us know how terrible we all are for not all having the entire collection of Louis Armstrong, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson, and Dizzy Gillespie. Which we clearly do not have despite a mod on the site being named Satchmo...maybe he just liked the word.
I LOLed and agree completely. I guess appreciating the contributions of black people specifically in history is some form of open-mindedness these days. I, for one, don't feel indebted to black people for what my ancestors did.
midnight rain is offline   Reply With Quote