Music Banter - View Single Post - The louder the lie, the better believed
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 10:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
shellyboy9
Groupie

Frankly, my main point is about misinformation. I'm more worried however about the stagnancy of popular music, including Hip-Hop which has remained unchanged for 15 years. duga, Elvis preceded the Beatles, but influentially, there no comparison. Back to the current musical stagnation. In the 80's when talking with friends we would say, well, Whitney Houston in the now, but Hop-Hop is next. In the 70's we would say, well, disco is the now, but funk is next. Now I say, well, Hip-Hop remains the now, where the hell is the next? Black music has always been the leaders of the next, where is it? This bodes poorly not only for black music, but for all popular music.
I own 7,000 (god!) records, 2500 of which are classical, (3500 R and B, Rock, and dance, the rest Jazz). For me, cardboard adolescent, Cage and most of the other de-constuctionists of modernity including Wuorinen, Partch, Varese, Scriabin et.al. are the distractions. People not only want, but need melody. Our bodies thrum to natures universal melodies and harmonies. The downfall of classical music parallels the rise of atonality; and the rise of rock and roll. It's not coincidence.
Indeed, Thebig3killedmyraindog, music is a universal hodgepodge, but even a mongrel has it's mitochondrial DNA. Country music has its roots in Irish music and minstrel shows. You've heard of those, right big3? I'm no OP TheBigblindersonbabeinthewoods. I'm just a guy who's seen a lot of music. All types, all kinds for lots of years. By the way folks, always fear those who drop quotes to legitimize they're the world is made of you and me, but I'm the bad ass. As long as there's a Tuna, I'm talkin'.

Last edited by shellyboy9; 12-30-2009 at 10:55 PM.
shellyboy9 is offline   Reply With Quote