Music Banter - View Single Post - The Vinyl Collector's Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2009, 04:34 AM   #59 (permalink)
Classof75
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Certif1ed View Post
Excellent!

Of course, as with antiques or any form of collecting, the main point of collecting vinyl is to enjoy it - that's why I say you can pick up ANY Red/Plum Zep album and it will sound amazing, if it's not scratched to death.

There are certain presses that sound better than others though - and there are rumours I've heard about some early pressings being mastered in such a way that cheaper record players simply couldn't handle them, and many "scratched" copies of mind-blowing vinyl were returned to stores - so a really early press may not suit your system if you're on a tight budget.

For example, some US audiophile collectors swear by a particular US pressing of LZ II with the initials RL in the dead wax - apparently copies can still be found in secondhand shops for less than $10. The sound on this pressing (RL was the mastering engineer) is supposed to render the music breathtakingly lifelike (and is the one I heard the above rumour about) - but I couldn't verify that, as US presses hardly ever turn up in the UK.

Like "Antiques Roadshow" (UK TV show), there's always interest in what it's worth - that's another part of the fun of collecting - but I mainly want to find the finest possible sounding recordings of the music I really dig.

LZ III is a superb album. I just double checked mine, which I got from a local shop for £10, and yes, it's definitely the earliest press possible, and Near Mint - which is nice.

Now I need another that I can actually play without worrying about decreasing its value...
The original 1969 U.S. pressing with "RL" (Robert Ludwig mastered) etched in the runout (near the label) is indeed the most dynamic sounding pressing of this album. They are sought after (and can be found). I have one in VG+ condition, and it is really a great sounding slab of vinyl. Only the first early pressings were cut by Ludwig. Some people (back then) thought the album was defective because their needles were jumping out of the grooves. That's how "hot" this record was cut. Today, cartridges track much better, so jumping needles are not a problem. Worth searching for this one!
Classof75 is offline   Reply With Quote