Music Banter - View Single Post - That 70's Thread - Anteater's Reviews Of Cool **** You Should Already Have
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2009, 08:37 PM   #24 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

^ Italy eh. That's a bit unexpected to know, but it makes sense in a way. I'm a pretty young guy myself (20), so I don't have the benefit of being someone who knew a lot of these albums as they were released, but I'm glad you like my reviews thusfar 4ZZ, thanks! And I also think In Rock is a pretty good release Soldier.

Hawk – Africa She Too Can Cry (1972)

"Soul-Shattering Rock From The Dark Continent As You've Never Heard It Before!"

1. Uvuyo (3:13)
2. Elegy for Eden (2:37)
3. The Rolling of the Bones (2:43)
4. Dark Side of the Moon (2:55)
5. War Talk (2:42)
6. Africa (2:49)
7. African Day Suite (16:28)
8. Orang Outang (3:52)
9. Kalahari Dry (2:35)
10. Mumbo Jumbo (3:40)
11. Hunter (4:07)
12. In my Youth (4:56)

Of the procession of albums that have been reviewed so far, this one is without a doubt the rarest by far, as well as one of the more intriguing in my collection. Hailing from the racially charged rock scene of South Africa, were police could bust in and beat you to death merely by getting up on stage if you were black, the musicians who made up Hawk were given a golden opportunity when their manager cut a deal with Charisma Records, who were based in London, allowing them to escape the shackles of racism and cruelty that were prevalent in their homeland. They then were able to record several albums and go tour throughout Europe for quite some time, enjoying success to various degrees for their intriguing blend of African ethnicentrism and Van Der Graaf Generator-esque prog. rock, led by dual guitar and the fantastic vocals of Dave Ornellas.

Africa She Too Can Cry is Hawk's second release, a showcase for their abilities as well as an exercise in songwriting which reflected their patriotic love of the land of their birth. The songs dance between various moods, from the steller funk of 'Mumbo Jumbo' to dramatic, bluesy fare like 'Elegy of Eden' and 'In My Youth' to epic proggy hard rock such as the mammoth 17-minute "African Day Suite". Whatever the mood though, this is wonderfully raw stuff that sounds almost like a garage recording at times, unhinged and feral despite the fact its a studio album, but never forgetting to display its beautiful, most human elements when needed.

A lot of albums out there remain obscure for different reasons, one of which is that they weren't very good in the first place. I can, however, say with certainty that this is not the case with Hawk or any of their output on this early 70's gem, a work denied the audience it deserved for reasons more political and economical than due to any lack of musical worth. It's got a bucketfull of soul where it matters and some of the best rock n' roll sensibility this side of Leaf Hound to back up that zeal, tearing up the world to pieces with two guitars and some snarling rhythm in the dead of night.

PM me if interested in a copy of this, and a Happy New Year to everyone!!

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote