Music Banter - View Single Post - Which country (within the Anglosphere) makes the best music?
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2010, 03:17 AM   #248 (permalink)
Astronomer
we are stardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by right-track View Post
You were right to leave these out, but not for the reason you bracketed.
I've had the Bee Gee debate before and just as a point of interest only one of the 3 were born in Manchester (the eldest). The other two were born in The Isle of Man.
Yeah that's what I thought when they were mentioned, even though I don't consider them an 'Australian' band I'd like to point out that the Gibb brothers grew up in Australia for the most part and started their musical career there before moving back UK when they'd achieved chart success in Australia. Pretty much all bands formed in Australia or New Zealand have to move to either the US or the UK if they want any chances of making their music known. Which is another point I was making earlier.

You can debate for hours about which country 'owns' all these culturally-hybrid bands but I don't think there is a right or a wrong. Most of my siblings were born overseas but they consider themselves Australian since they grew up and forged their personalities here. Just like to point that out