Music Banter - View Single Post - The Monthly Music Trading Post
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2010, 04:13 PM   #1008 (permalink)
Bulldog
why bother?

This one from Rickenbacker...

Comus - First Utterance

First off, I can see where Rickenbacker's coming from regarding this sleeve art being awesome and everything. Very vivid stuff - reminds me of me most Sunday mornings.

Onto the album itself, I've given it a couple of spins having heard so much (well, a bit) of praise on these 'ere boards for it. I've gotta say first off that I'm not exactly a huge fan of prog, but this one mixes some folk elements into the whole equation, and therefore comes off with a pretty interesting result (and that's usually how I like what little prog I can lay claim to myself - when the form's mucked about with like that... at least to my ears). It's certainly a very original piece of work, and definitely had parts which made it fully worth getting (the Herald and Diana for instance), but parts of it tried a little too hard for me - the vocals on Song To Comus and the Prisoner, and all the little quirks in the musical backing did grate a little. In most places those two work fine together though and really come off well, such as the aforementioned Herald. Most of the instrumentation, particularly how the fiddle plays such a key role (as on the fabulous Bitten) was just great too.

It's an album that I get the impression is better viewed as a unit than as isolated songs though, and in this respect it's a very good, original and solid album. Didn't really knock me off my feet though, but I still enjoyed it.

Cheers Rickenbacker

And who else wants in on the next trade?
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote