Music Banter - View Single Post - Tinnitus, who else?
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2010, 06:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleknowitall View Post
So I've been told, It's never really something that's occured to me before and has kind of just hit me as a bit of a shock. It should go down this time I think being so powerful so quickly but the long term is shaking me a bit.
I just wish someone would have told me that back in the days I was drumming for bands. Those cymbals have a tendency to kill the high frequency sensitivity in your ears and I know it started affecting me somewhat long before I wised up and started using earplugs.

It sucks when I'm trying to mix a song and I'm constantly wrestling with whether I'm EQing properly or not. Although it's not debilitating at this point in my life, I still prefer to lean on software to help make those decisions and it's just something, as a musician, that should not be.
Overall it's mostly a general feeling of loss that a natural function of your body has been diminished and can't be restored. For some folks like mastering engineers, their ears are the most important part of their lives and you'll see those guys walking on city sidewalks with earplugs in.

You'd be surprised at some of the innocuous-seeming background noises happening in daily life that are actually damaging your hearing slightly. We're so used to a loud life that this stuff just slips by unnoticed and years later we don't even realize how much of our hearing we're no longer able to use that's aside from natural aging.

I just think it's worth it to protect your ears while you're young. Especially as a musician or anyone else who's prime enjoyment in life needs the use of ears to appreciate.