Music Banter - View Single Post - Last album you bought, downloaded or listened to
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2010, 06:24 PM   #9663 (permalink)
Engine
air quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATCHMO View Post
It really seems that once Vast Aire and Vodul Mega's vocals are stripped from this record that El-P's beautiful production comes rising to the surface. There are more than a handful of instrumental versions of great hip hop albums, but I really think that this one more than any of the others (with the exception of the Madvillainy instrumentals) really stands out as being a very complete piece of instrumental music and an amazing showcase of El-P's talent.
I don't think he's necessarily the best producer out there but he's definitely got an ear for good sounds and he's created his own unique style. Back in the 90s I think he was kind of looked down on because he just used beats and samples that he either found or made himself and wasn't a 'crate digger' or record collector which was essential for hip-hop at the time. Turns out his weird beats have more staying power than a lot of the 90s stuff produced by 'real DJs'
I also have the Fantastic Damage Instrumentals and they're also a revelation - it's like the vocals mask some of the great production.