Music Banter - View Single Post - The Monthly Music Trading Post
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2010, 10:34 PM   #1024 (permalink)
Astronomer
we are stardust

anticipation sent me this:

Lula Côrtes, Rosa de Sangue

Lula Cortes is a Brazilian musician who I had never heard of before, and unfortunately this recording, Rosa de Sangue, apparently never saw release after its first and only limited pressing. Which is a damn shame because I loved it! It's definitely not an album I'd pick up and guess that I'd be into, but I was pleasantly surprised when I found that it was basically full of fuzzy psychedelic workouts despite being from around 1980, well after the peak of the psych-rock movement.

It is overflowing with a whole range of influences from psychedelia, tropicalia, punk, prog, rock, folk-funk, and middle-eastern and I could honestly not plonk it into a single defining genre. Track Nordeste Oriental was chilled and pleasant, while Noite prêta made me want to get up and dance, and I loved the title track Rosa de sangue.

This album was hazy, sun-drenched, funky, happy, tropical, and perfect for a hot and sweaty summer night, which was exactly the circumstance in which I listened to it. Like I said, definitely not an album which I would pick up and listen to myself, but I really did enjoy it.

Thanks anticipation