Music Banter - View Single Post - Should Australia become a republic?
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2010, 02:36 PM   #30 (permalink)
Ronnie Jane Devo
moon shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
Exactly, I don't see any benefit in becoming a republic at the moment either. Like I said, why try to 'fix' something when it isn't broken? Our political system as worked well for us thus far so why try to change it?
Would you mind explaining what "works well" about your government? I've heard some bad things about Australia regarding telecommunications privacy, censorship laws and the public transport system, so I have a feeling there's quite a lot of room for improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
can't comment for other Commonwealth nations but in Canada i think that would cause a major issue due to the members of the Senate being appointed until they hit 75.
Funny, this actually sounds potentially better than the situation we have in the U.S. where a lot of Congressmen get elected and then do jack shit in office so they can avoid controversy and keep voters appeased enough to get re-elected because they're doing "well enough". I really think there should just be no re-elections allowed and let "career politicians" rotate through different offices in the government if they really want to stay in. Not that it's ever going to happen that way.