Music Banter - View Single Post - Exploitation Cinema
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2010, 06:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

I can't believe that this thread has no replies but then again I guess it is expected.

If I can use a musical analogy- most people expect their music tied up in tiny bundles just like their music but some films are made in a short space of time akin to an album and have their own fair share of dud notes, missed cues and rushed productions but because we are usually fed with efficient productions, anything that doesn't meet these criterias are open to ridicule which makes me angry.

Now and again we dig a Punk album that was recorded in a garage with no budget and no expertise behind it but we still dig it. In cinematic terms it seems not to be liked as much, yet there is just as much talent to be viewed that is dismissed because of an idealistic view of what a film is supposed to look like that talent and endeavour are dismissed.

Many films are indeed awful and just because they ascribe to B movie asthetics doesn't mean that they are automatically awful but when you have no money and have made a film that has taken many years to produce it shouldn't mean that it is not valid despite it's flaws.

This is not an encapsulation of Exploitation movies at all but certainly a view I have that I look for in movie making as much as music making.

I certainly do think that there is a snobbery in film viewing that is hypocritical when apposed against listening habits.

If a piece of media is crap then it is crap, that's a given (regarding an opinion) but I do think that most on here are very narrow minded when it comes to films or the process behind them. They(B Movies) seem much more of an easy target for criticism unfortunately.

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote