Music Banter - View Single Post - Music Banter Hall Of Fame: Nominations Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2008, 01:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Piss Me Off
Moodswings n' Roundabouts

Well i had an idea that this would be the first choice, and it's a very difficult one for me.
First of all, i've never been a fan in particular of Led Zeppelin. Very early on a detested them yes, and later i've admired them and listened to them, but i've never actually felt the need to rave about them in the same way some people do. I think at first i pretty stupidly lumped it in with the whole 'hair-rock' thing, which i hated. The shreaky vocals, the solo's, the long-arse songs, i didn't do much for a fairly closed-minded indie fan like me. The 'No Stairway' bit in Wayne's World made me smug and happy.
Once i actually opened myself up to them though then i let some of the love in. Zep IV, though i still hate Stairway, is a damn solid album, consistent and always shifting in its intentions. It's the first album that really gets me though, mostly as to me it contains their 2 best songs, Dazed and Confused and Babe I'm Gonna Leave You (christ almighty they do rock my socks).
One thing i love about them is just how universal their appeal is. Put their songs on at a party and everyone will get into it and a load of them may know the words. School bands will imitate them to death and cover their songs. They announce one show in London and the world goes mad. I remember when a load of my mates hung a huge banner out of a school window with the Zep 4 emblems on it. Any band that can get this reaction out of people deserves heaps of respect off me, how many others bands out there can can you think of that are just THAT respected by everyone?
Fact of the matter is, i'm a stubborn arsehole and in the end even i have to say i like them. I may be a relatively casual listener to them, but if i want to let my hair down i could do a lot worse. It's a yes from me, i hope they make it.

Last FM
Rate Yr Music
Muxtape