Music Banter - View Single Post - Music Banter Hall Of Fame: Nominations Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2008, 01:38 PM   #442 (permalink)
lucifer_sam
Unrepentant Ass-Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monkey View Post
I had an albums of theirs on my computer a while ago, and it sounded every bit as gangsta (in the bad sence) at NWA. Furthermore, their public appearance is also very reminiscent of contemporary acts who classified themselves with that term.

Just to make things clear, "gangsta" is a very loose genre for me, and isn't intrinsically bad. It simply denotes an anti-establishment mindset, though misogyny, homophobia and racism usually come with it, sadly. Wu-Tang Clan's songs tend to contain elements of the latter, which is why I voted no.
No, Wu-Tang is not gangsta rap, nor have they ever been. Their three collective albums don't express the same mentality as Fuck Tha Police or pretty much anything NWA did. They came during a different era when rap music had to be revitalized and rebooted (since it really was the cheesy stuff that made the top 40). Regardless of the genre, they made some of the greatest solo and group rap albums, and I can't imagine any hip-hop act making the hall of fame if WTC doesn't.