Music Banter - View Single Post - Music Banter Hall Of Fame: Nominations Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2008, 06:03 PM   #674 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

It's a no from me. The whole minimalist, amateurish approach to music is to be applauded but it still needs structure. I can't find any warmth in their music and although that is seemingly the anithesis of what they were trying to achieve, it can be found in many bands around at the same time. Killing Joke's debut was 1979 and may well have used 'Metal Box' as a guide but it feels more rounded to me and was barely a year later.

We could argue that this is what makes music so special-the defiant stance and reluctance to adhere to conventional song structures but I find music of this nature;just that. A stop gap until someone comes along and steals your ethos and perfects it.

I would much rather see a band such as Einsturzen Neubauten enter the hall of fame personally. If a band enters a hall of fame I personally feel that I still have to find them listenable as well as innovative and influential. I listen to bands such as Swell Maps and Punishment Of Luxury that were around at the same time, far more frequently than P.I.L so that tells me that no matter how far reaching a band has become, if I don't listen to them then I cannot vote them in.

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”