Music Banter - View Single Post - Music Banter Hall Of Fame: Nominations Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2009, 10:17 AM   #1108 (permalink)
dac
MB's Biggest Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
Right. Are you saying no ones listens to PF while getting stoned?
Not what I was going for. What I mean is that the stoner-qualities of Pink Floyd are a bit over blown. Yeah they're trippy at times, but there is a lot of stuff out there that is WAY trippier than Pink Floyd. Just because a bunch of stoners wear their DSOTM sweatshirts everyday doesn't mean PF hasn't had a great output of music. They've had a lot of great guitar work and song writing over the years and they get a bad reputation from a bunch of fans who have never listened to Piper, Animals, Meddle etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolidayG1 View Post
dac, there definitely have been great moments of the last 20 years. I'm just saying that, a lot of the music we've heard in the last two decades probably would not have happened without the music before it.

In the pop field, for instance, it just feels like it hasn't been as strong as it was, especially in terms of albums. We had Michael Jackson, Madonna and Prince in the 80's. There are no three equivalents to those acts nowadays. Any one that could be compared to them, just aren't nearly as strong.

Justin Timberlake is doing pretty well and has strong moments, but he's no MJ; and there isn't a viable "replacement" for Madonna, in terms of overall talent and knack for music (the biggest female pop star of the last decade just doesn't cut it, for various reasons).
Yeah I suppose that there are no super star pop acts like the 80s had, but is that really a bad thing? And just because it came first doesn't mean it's better.