Music Banter - View Single Post - Music Banter Hall Of Fame: Nominations Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2009, 06:32 AM   #1109 (permalink)
Piss Me Off
Moodswings n' Roundabouts

Pink Floyd are through.

It’s about time i did a nomination. No offense to the Dylans, Beatles and Pink Floyds being nominated here but its all a bit safe. What I embrace about Musicbanter is bands being celebrated that probably don’t get the recognition they deserve. I could have nominated my favourite band but around their time was another band in America who had even more of an influence over my music taste. I give you...

Big Black

Big Black may just be one of the most incredible, violent, abrasive and downright unpleasant bands i’ve ever had the pleasure to hear. I’m not one of those people who say ‘this band is the most punk band ever’ but if i was i’d probably give that accolade to Big Black. No-one sounded like them before and still no one really does now. Their instruments sounded like industrial tools. They used a drum machine. They released more EP’s than albums and all of them stand up to them in quality as well. They set off fireworks on stage. Go and google the artwork to the Headache EP (on grounds of decency the EP was wrapped in a ‘bodybag’, thats all i’ll say). This band was raw.

Big Black are most celebrated for Songs About Fucking and i’ll agree it’s an absolute classic, the first side in particular is absolute perfection. It deserves props for that cover of The Model alone. I would seriously suggest before voting that you listen to this if you haven’t already, i’ll be happy to share. Atomiser is brilliant as well and very underrated, also being home to their arguable masterpiece Kerosene, one of the best teenage angst songs i’ve heard. Pigpile is definitely worth checking too, one of the most vicious live albums i’ve encountered.

Steve Albini was in this band too y’know. If you like music chances are you own something he had a hand in making, a true musical genius. Big Black played a huge part in moulding the American alternative scene at the time, their imprint being seen in punk, noise rock and indie bands alike. They’ll never be for everyone but the respect they deserve can’t be denied. Vote ‘em in.

Last FM
Rate Yr Music
Muxtape