Music Banter - View Single Post - Music Banter Hall Of Fame: Nominations Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2009, 04:05 AM   #1358 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
Seems to me that there are severe double standards regarding the HOF. Many people who don't like certain bands have said no and that's all fine but when bands they like or admire get negativity it's a shit storm. Everyone should be entitled to their own choice regardless of what others think. quite a few said no to my rec: Pink Floyd without decent explanations. Didn't bother me. It's about a choice. Robert Johnson is possibly the most influential musician on modern music. Would he get in? Would he balls. Because within the MB listening criteria he isn't heard all that much and therefore not deemed worthy. it doesn't mean he isn't important. It's a reflection of MB and it's difference to other generic forums.

Although it would be extremely painstaking I think this should be restarted with stricter criteria
Ok then, with that point let's make the point simple, make the official criteria "your own personal preference". Even though that's not the criteria I was using, I'll gladly use it if that's the one everyone else agrees to use. I just want us to pick one and one only.

The problem is half vote for personal preference, and the other half vote for the same reason as I do. That creates a conflict of interests and an inconsistant hall of fame.

There's no consistency, if you're right that this is supposed to refect the forums point of view, then people who vote based on influence are ruining everything and costing artists that would normally get in based on popular opinion to fail to even get nominated, as well as getting artists unpopular on MB inducted based on their impact. If it was just established (required would be a better word) that you vote for who you like and no other reason, that's how I would have voted, and probably a lot of other people who are not too stupid to read the first page.

If it's decided that personal opinion is the criteria that should be used then that'll be the one I'll use from now on. But it means there should be no tolerance for people voting against an artist because "they're not influencial enough" if that's entirely against the point of this HOF.

And since you make a good point, then maybe we should make it clear that if you vote, vote for who you like and that's it, no bullsh*tting, trying to make it any more complicated or convoluted than that.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.