Music Banter - View Single Post - Music Banter Hall Of Fame: Nominations Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2009, 04:36 PM   #1404 (permalink)
lucifer_sam
Unrepentant Ass-Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
Yeah, but then again, Jackson Pollock invested a lot of time and effort to make

^ This.

The thing with Beefheart is, you had other artists from that period like Velvet Underground and King Crimson who were also making groundbreaking, innovative avant garde influenced rock music, but they still did a lot of stuff I find aesthetically pleasing. And that's where Beefheart falls short.

Beefheart's music has never touched me or blown me away and it doesn't make me want to dance. It doesn't really give me anything other then sheer fascination and amusement, like watching a train wreck. I had a phase where I listened to TMR all the time and now I don't really listen to it anymore. My favorite song is Moonlight on Vermont.

The thing with that album is, I think it's the most hilarious thing I've ever heard, but I'm slowly beginning to suspect that it wasn't actually meant to be funny, and that bothers me.
nah, of course it was meant to be funny. you can hear Beefheart laugh at the beginning of Hair Pie: Bake 2 as well as after the Rocket Morton comment "i run on beans". and it's not like he was devoid of a sense of humor either (you saw that Ten Commandments thing i posted earlier, right?). there are parts of it too which focus on serious subject matter, particularly Dachau Blues.

Moonlight in Vermont is absolutely awesome in every way, though.