Music Banter - View Single Post - Music Banter Hall Of Fame: Nominations Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2009, 05:48 AM   #1489 (permalink)
Piss Me Off
Moodswings n' Roundabouts

The Monks sadly do not go through. I hate you guys.

Next up from Dac

Sigur Ros

Sigur Rós are one of the most beautiful and innovative bands of our time. They are at, and have been at the forefront of the post rock movement since their debut in 1997. They have three critically acclaimed albums in "Agaetis Byrjun", "Takk", and the uniquely titled "()." Frontman Jón (Jónsi) Þór Birgisson sings in a trademark falsetto and his voice sometimes acts as an instrument of its own. To this day, they have recorded only 1 song in English, which really speaks to the impact and the universal approachability of their music. Most songs are sung in Icelandic or the curious "Hopelandic" which is essentially just scat singing dubbed with a fancy name by some journalist. Their sound is complex yet wonderfully easy to listen to. Jónsi attacks his guitar with a cello bow in a way that Jimmy Page wishes he could. The rest of the band can be found on drums, base, and a number of keyboards, string instruments, and many more things. Sigur Rós really throws the kitchen sink into their music. They are involved in many political and environmental movements in their native Iceland, which is well documented in the gorgeous documentary Heima. Sigur Rós are truly one of the great bands of this era.

Last FM
Rate Yr Music
Muxtape