Music Banter - View Single Post - Music Banter Hall Of Fame: Nominations Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2009, 09:07 AM   #1885 (permalink)
Mojo
Melancholia Eternally

Oasis were the first band I really ever got into. Before that I liked very little music at all, and most of it is not anything I would even consider listening to now. I've always preferred Oasis to Blur. I can respect the fact that Blur evolved, they experimented, they changed their sound and of course you aren't gonna find many bands who are the completre opposite of Blur in that sense. Oasis liked the way they sounded and didn't really care to change it much, the differences between records are very small and very subtle. I don't think that makes Blur better than Oasis, but it's one of the main arguments I hear.

I don't really care which band people prefer, as I said in my last post there was so much more to Britpop than Blur and Oasis and they were both successful in their own right despite being very different and so it's not really fair that they get compared so much.

I loved Oasis because they sounded fresh (note I said fresh and not original. I know Oasis have never been original), they came with a cocky, arrogant swagger to both their music and their behaviour which was cool to a 10 or 11 lad and they were the first English band I was ever able to really get excited about from the start and grow up with. A band that kids my age could point to as their own after years of American dominance when it came to mainstream rock music. At that age, in school, Oasis were cool. Oasis were a cool band to like and thanks to how impressionable kids are break times were spent discussing whether people liked Oasis or Blur, almost as if you couldn't like both of them. I like their last album but in general Oasis' material has greatly decreased in quality over the years but it was mainly their first 2 records and a ton of stellar B-sides that put me firmly on the Oasis "team" as you put it.

On the other hand Blur were much more consistent and made more good records though, even if I don't like any of them as much as Definitely Maybe and Blur were definitely a band I grew to respect a lot more once I got older and more tolerant to different kinds of music. Back in 1995/1996 I think it was really easy to lean more towards Oasis though, they were red hot, their output hadn't started to falter yet and really it just came down to whether you wanted something a little more diverse or poppy or you wanted something a little more rock and roll.

Last.FM | Echoes and Dust