Music Banter - View Single Post - Music Banter Hall Of Fame: Nominations Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2009, 10:47 PM   #2095 (permalink)
music_phantom13
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin B. View Post
I'm still wondering why mediocre alternative bands like Tool are being considered for the Hall of Fame when black performers like Bob Marley and James Brown have never been nominated. Music Banter members also have a poor track record in nominating female members to the Hall of Fame. Where's Patti Smith, Chrissie Hynde and the Pretenders, PJ Harvey or Joni Mitchell?

As much as I appreciate My Bloody Valentine and John Zorn, I'm not sure that Bob Marley should have been bumped for their entry. My Bloody Valentine made a total of three albums over six years, one of which was exceptional. If you're going to select a short lived but influential guitar band make it Mission of Burma. MoB guitarist Roger Miller was experimenting with white noise and sonic landscapping five years before Kevin Shield came along and Roger did it with more passion and finesse than Kevin.

I voted no on Tool and I'll continue to vote no on every college radio alternative band until there is a better cultural balance of music in the Hall of Fame. I apologize for the rant but this whole Tool thing really hit a nerve for me.
I just think I need to point out that it sounds very hypocritical to call out Music Banter for not putting bands with black or female members in the hall of fame, and then in the very same post tell us that instead of MBV (who have female members) we should have elected MoB (4 white guys). And I agree Tool doesn't belong in the hall of fame, but apparently the community as a whole does not.

Oh, and Public Enemy was inducted, Chuck Berry and Wu Tang Clan were nominated, and Bad Brains is waiting for the potential to be inducted.