Music Banter - View Single Post - Most underrated bands ever?
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2010, 02:53 PM   #707 (permalink)
Astronomer
we are stardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElephantSack View Post
I came on Eileen.

Anyway. I'm not sure if underrated means a general deficit of respect that the band deserves, or if it's supposed to refer to bands that don't or didn't receive the widespread attention that they deserved. And that will vary and differ not only from country to country, but from region to region. So! Speaking strictly from the Southeast United States. Bands that were either not given the recognition or the respect that they deserved or still deserve! (drumroll)

Mr. Bungle has never been played and probably never will be played on the radio here. They were also booed during their entire set at the House of Blues in 2000, and Mike Patton was attacked by the crowd when he stage-dived. In retrospect, it was probably one of the most awesome sets I had ever seen.

Porcupine Tree receives zero attention in my corner of the country. The music stores (Best Buy and FYE, *sigh*) don't really carry them. FYE might have a couple of their CDs.

Opeth was unknown in my region before they signed to Roadrunner. I saw them in 2005 with a crowd of about 150 people. When I saw them at the same place in 2008, that number had more than quadrupled. Amazing what a little bit of label promotion will get you.

Primus. As much of a giant as they are, they don't come within a 300-mile radius of my hometown. They get airplay occasionally (Wynona's Big Brown Beaver and My Name is Mud, that's it.). Big surprise.

You know what? Just accept the fact that I live in a relatively culture-less area of a dumbed-down nation. You know who gets attention here? Nickleback gets attention and large amounts of airplay. I live down the street from one of the busiest Wal-Marts in the world. There are 5 Denny's restaurants and 10 Waffle Houses within a 20-mile radius.

I'm moving.
Move here, Mr. Bungle was played on the radio station I listen to just this morning!

Where I live, Mr. Bungle, Porcupine Tree and Opeth are far from underrated. In fact they're all pretty huge and get loads of recognition and sometimes airplay from a certain radio station that I'm pretty fond of.

A band that I think are highly underrated are Australian band Karnivool. Originally a local band who I saw at a tiny bar a few years ago and had drinks with them afterwards, they are now pretty huge in Australia selling out huge shows in a matter of minutes. They've brought out two albums, both amazing in my opinion, and have worked so unbelievably hard yet still have absolutely no recognition outside Australia. In fact, I doubt anyone has ever heard of them. Which goes to show that no matter how talented or go-getting an Australian artist is, it's basically impossible for them to 'make it' unless they choose to move to the US or the UK permanently, which sucks if you ask me.

In fact I think there are tons of awesome Australian artists that are highly underrated.