Music Banter - View Single Post - The Monthly Music Trading Post
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2010, 05:30 PM   #1040 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

Schizotypic sent me this one...

Jade - In Pursuit

This is the best I could do with album art because apparently, this is quite a rare album!

Start with the Children - Just starting the album and knowing how relatively unknown this album seems to be, I'm already intrigued by the quality of the music. Just this song alone seems to be worth the price of entry. It immediately catches my interest in the album. From the horns and guitars to Jade's voice, it is a very solid opener.

Music Slave - Very 70's at the start. Very 70's-ish guitars. Not as solid as the first track, but still a good song. Very danceable.

Home Orpheus - I'm really liking this song. Slow and...well...soulful. I'm loving the chilled out guitars. I'm noticing how intricate Jade is and how all the instruments compliment each other so nicely. The piano is subtle until it needs to be. Again, I am totally confused that Jade seems to be relatively unknown.

Heaven Or Hell You Got To Choose - Starts off like it might be another slower song, but picks up quickly. Copious use of the cowbell, and another very 70's type song imo. Another danceable track.

The World is a Merri-Go Round - Solid track, but nothing too groundbreaking. After this song and the few that precede it, I can safely say a fan of 70's soul would probably love this album.

Tomorrow May Be Too Late - Starting to sound a bit the same as some of the other tracks (just in style - not necessarily the music itself). Solid, but easily forgettable.

Evil Ways - Well, well...a Santana cover. Pretty solid cover, too. And refreshing.

Little Jam No. 1 - Instrumental, and exaclty as the title implies. I love jam tracks, and this one is really good. A great way to close the album!

Overall, a really good soul album. As I mentioned, a fan of 70's soul/funk would love this album. Since I've never really tried to get into soul this was a relatively new experience for me. I like it and wouldn't mind getting into it more...especially if these guys are the ones that didn't get famous. Makes me wonder what else is out there. Standout tracks for me: Start With the Children, Home Orpheus, and Little Jam No. 1.

Overall, 7/10