Music Banter - View Single Post - The anti offical black metal thread
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010, 01:37 AM   #91 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petula07 View Post
Well, I always said I hate death metal but... two months ago I found music of Opeth and I started to love them
Now I think I just didn't understand why growl, what?! Now I can listen to it although it's now too new for me. I am not sure if I will listen to more than Opeth or not.
Or.... does somebody know some melodic death / black metal band also with some normal singing? Something like Opeth?
Opeth are death metal with a lot of mellow acoustic parts and as time went by they incoporated influences from prog in general. Melodic death metal (mostly Swedish bands as opposed to US death metal bands) mixes in clean vocals with the death growl and also offer far more variation on sound, listen to In Flames and Dark Tranquillity just to name two. In fact "Whoracle" by In Flames is probably the finest album of the melodic death metal scene. There are also prog bands like Amorphis which are influenced by death metal but are exclusively clean vocals with a lot of normal rock and other influences.

An album I recommend, which predates the mellow approach by Opeth by a number of years is Tiamat`s "Wildhoney" certainly more prog than death metal and the group draw influences from death and black metal in general.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote