Music Banter - View Single Post - I will judge an album by the cover.
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010, 06:02 PM   #52 (permalink)
500records
Groupie

There is a story to this cover... but the short of it... the photograph was made by Austin Post, who has photo every glacier in North America, this one is Glacier Bay in Alaska. 50 years ago when he made this photograph he predicted it would melt irreversibly and calve icebergs... the same iceberg the Valdez was trying to avoid when it ran aground. 50 years ago there were very few icebergs in glacier bay... Form and Fate has a new release coming out in late Spring early summer 2010 on 500 Records. If anyone is following this thread and wants to hear the long version of the story let me know... thanks for listening... and for the wonderful review and praise... I'll try to remeber to post the next album cover here and some pre-release promos for everyone to hear and react to, good or bad, we love it... cheers!

p.s. here some older music we decided to re-release that was only previously released DIY by hand.

soundcloud.com/500records/sets/form-1

Form And Fate - The Form And Fate Of Lakes. 2007

01 Emotions vs Deceptions
02 Norwegian Black Metal Sword Fight To Death
03 The Ballad Of Austin Post
04 Intermission
05 It Will Come To Us
06 The Form And Fate Of Lakes Part I
07 The Form And Fate Of Lakes Part II
08 You Should Be Stopping

I once had the pleasure of seeing a glacier in New Zealand. We flew a light aircraft through Milford Sound and had the glacier pointed out to us by the pilot. Though it seemed small it was a magical experience to see and I will take that flight to the grave. So when trawling blog world I found this album cover and was impressed. Now that is a glacier. The one I was so transfixed by in NZ was a wee baby in comparison.
Where is that glacier that Form And Fate have used for their album art? I have searched via google and am unable to find an image. It would be an experience to go there.
And Form and Fate!? An interesting name for a band and considering the title of the album, The Form And Fate Of Lakes, the glacier seems appropriate.

So on to the music. How does it stack up? Not too bad. It is instrumental post rock and well played, (name a post rock album that is not well played), better with a bit of volume, (name a post rock album that is not ditto), and better through the headphones, (name a post rock album that is not ditto).

I like the track The Ballad Of Austin Post. Gently played with a clean sound that is given some grunt with the occasional feedback. It Will Come to us has some nice guitar leading the melody and a bit of drone in the background occasionally. Throughout the album the bass is generally subdued with the percussion to the foreground. The rhythm section is subtle in general though. Mix and match!? The guitars are, well....... typical post rock. Crafty, jangley and precise.

Lets be honest. Post Rock is the new Jazz. The players are always fantastic, especially live. People like me love the stuff. Maserati are the soup, Mogwai are the main course, Battles are the desert and Form And Fate, or who ever takes your fancy, is the after dinner mint. But the public at large? Nah! It is not easy on the ear. No vocals and no discernible melody. The heroes of the past sang about women and drink and drink and women and Satan and women and drink and drink and women while the Guitarists played 20 minute solos and exposed the hose pipe via the too right Levis. So that means that the likes of Post Rock wank bands with wank names like Form And Fate are going to be but footnotes in the history of local music, in this case San Francisco, while the members become accountants and dentists and later in life meet for dinners and reminisce about how they don't make music like they used to and how present day pop is so poor and it was not like that back in blah blah blah.

Good album, glad to have played it 4 or 5 times, will probably not play it again for many a long year and in all honesty l would prefer to see the glacier. (Where ever it is)[/QUOTE]
500records is offline   Reply With Quote