Music Banter - View Single Post - I will judge an album by the cover.
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010, 10:36 PM   #55 (permalink)
4ZZZ
Forever young

Geez. That is a serious thread revival. I think I might have to consider a few more revues. Never thought anyone took much notice of my drivel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500records View Post
There is a story to this cover... but the short of it... the photograph was made by Austin Post, who has photo every glacier in North America, this one is Glacier Bay in Alaska. 50 years ago when he made this photograph he predicted it would melt irreversibly and calve icebergs... the same iceberg the Valdez was trying to avoid when it ran aground. 50 years ago there were very few icebergs in glacier bay.
Thanks for that 500records. One day I might get lucky and get to Glacier Bay. Alaska is on a very long must do list. I will PM you later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberNineDream View Post
I love twirling dervishes!
I used to laugh at them when I was quite young, as what they did seemed a bit too absurd. However, last year, we got to study them in one of our classes, and it's just amazing how simple all this concept is. They don't feel anything really, it's not like they're torturing themselves in some way. It's one of the many oriental meditating techniques, the dervishes would be twirling while reciting a mantra in their head, until they reach this moment of pure clarity. When twirling, with the right technique, they don't get dizzy (which makes twirling for more than five hours possible) all the blood rushes into their brain, and they feel elevated.

Unfortunately there's not much genuine Sufi dervishes nowadays. Usually, some twirl in events, but they're just show people, not Sufis. Though many still exist in Turkey mostly, but I don't think they'd be twirling all on the streets.
And thanks for that info as well. I had never given the technique any thought. We live in a wonderful world full of interesting phenomena that should amaze us if we are open minded.