Music Banter - View Single Post - The Monthly Music Trading Post
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010, 11:03 AM   #1053 (permalink)
Rickenbacker
/

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberNineDream View Post
From Rickenbacker

Caravan of Thieves - Bouquet (2008)

One of the most cheerful albums I've ever heard. Though, to me "cheerful" isn't much a of a positive point, that album isn't just happy, it genuinely puts you in a great mood. The first impression I got, hearing the first track, I just remembered the Dark Cabaret compilation LoathsomePete uploaded, this kind of music you'll hear in circuses and parades.
A great album and a great band, loved it from my first listen, from the first song even. Maybe it was the gypsy swing music, eastern European kind of melodies, the strong rhythmic guitars, the sound of the violin or the shy double-bass, all I know, it was all there, and I loved this whole fusion. It was kind of a mix between Django Reinhardt and Goran Bregovic, no matter how strange this sounds, it really worked. I don't think I have a "favourite" track, as I feel it's one of those albums you just hear from the beginning to the end. Some of them did stand out, maybe The Butcher's wife, Bouquet or Burial at sea. What was even more interesting though, were these few instrumental parts inserted in the songs, that seemed like improvised pieces on stage.
I didn't talk much about the vocals in the album, maybe because they weren't that special, though they were pretty smooth and worked very well with the great arrangements. I think I would've got annoyed by them if they were a bit more noticeable, cause they would have seemed a bit over done. So I think they were perfect for the music.

All in all, it was a great album, that might be my second favourite of 2009. Thank you Rickenbacker.
So glad you liked it! I felt the same way really. Awesome!
Rickenbacker is offline   Reply With Quote