Music Banter - View Single Post - Streetlight Manifesto
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010, 04:06 PM   #52 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieLover View Post
personally i love it when less common instruments are incorporated into the main sound of a non-jazz band, such as the horns. I think my generation (well, my highschool specifically) has forgotten that music is a lot more than fast guitar and catchy lyrics (and streelight has it all!)
I agree, Veggie, that ska is pleasant because it traditionally uses brass instruments not typically found in popular music these days. Also, ska is usually infectiously upbeat music. Streetlight Manifesto's music shows both of these qualities well. I actually prefer ska songs that don't emphasize the brass section so much, maybe because modern ska songs that use a lot of brass sound *so* traditional to me. Now I'm wondering if there is a ska band that uses wind instruments instead of brass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieLover View Post
I don't even know what ska is, but i know i like this band! I will have to download some more of their music now.....
The sticky for this section has a good summary of how ska emerged in Jamaica through the meshing Jamaican music and U.S. music that Jamaicans heard more of when they were purchasing radios after WWII. The history of ska interests me, because it shows the links between social and technological changes and the emergence of music trends. You might like reading more about it, too!

That was funny, by the way, about you successfully making up fake band names on your school trip!
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 01-08-2010 at 04:15 PM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote