Music Banter - View Single Post - The Beginner's Guide to...
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2010, 12:54 PM   #452 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Beginner's Guide to mc chris

What begun as a beginner's guide to nerdcore quickly turned into a beginner's guide to mc chris because he's pretty much the only nerdcore artist that's worth two shits. That may be a little harsh, but after hearing two hours of the likes of MC Frontalot I can safely write off a lot of the others as mere imitations of him as he seems to be the poster child for the genre. Sure there are other talented nerdcore artists out there like Random and Jesse Dangerously, and even the gimmicky MC Hawking is good for a larf, but for the most part it's a very... esoteric genre to say the least. For those unaware of the genre it's pretty much nerd hip hop, plain and simple. Songs tend to focus on science-fiction, fantasy, being a geek/nerd, love, Star Wars, Dungeons & Dragons, etc.

mc chris is one of the longest running voices of the genre and has had a love/hate relationship with the title. He finds the label to be extremely limiting on who can enjoy it and goes out of his way to write songs to encompass far more than just Nintendo fanboys. This has caused some friction among other artists of the genre, some viewing him as a bit of a poseur, only accepting the genre title after it started to gain some more mainstream recognition. Regardless on his personal feelings for the genre, he is one of the more talented amongst the bunch, both in his rhyme and flow scheme, but as well as his beat making. The breaking point for a lot of people is his unusually high voice, which some have described as sounding like that of a 10-year old boy. He has addressed such issues in his song "10-Year Old", but goes about it in good grace. If you can get past the voice and actually listen to his lyrics there is a good amount of humor and intelligence hidden in them. I tried to include as much stuff from mc chris is dead, his 2008 album which is widely regarded as his most accessible and well produced. I don't expect everything to appreciate this mix, but I'm sure at least one person will find it amusing.

Track List

"10-year old" - knowing is half the hassle
"fett's vett" - life's a bitch and i'm her pimp
"awesome fucker" - part 6 part 1
"on*" - mc chris is dead
"neville" - part 6 part 2
"hipster hunter" - part 6 part 3
"dq blizzard" - life's a bitch and i'm her pimp
"older crowd" - mc chris is dead
"metaphor" - mc chris is dead
"ftw" - dungeon master of ceremonies
"emo party" - part 6 part 3
"freaks" - mc chris is dead
"ig-88" - part 6 part 1
"zuckuss' prius" - part 6 part 2
"white kids love hip hop" - knowing is half the hassle
"mc chris is dead" - mc chris is dead
"magic" - mc chris is dead

I made a point to include a few skits because they are quite funny if albeit a little on the long side. If you're a geek then this is something you'll most likely like, or at least appreciate. Well here's the link, hope you guys like it!

Beginner's Guide to mc chris download

LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote