Music Banter - View Single Post - Velvet Underground
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2010, 02:07 PM   #150 (permalink)
The Fascinating Turnip
Moper

I had to bump this.

I recently discovered The Velvet Underground (a few months ago). I was familiar with the name, but had no idea what they sounded like.
I got Velvet Underground & Nico first (as does everyone i think, and i really loved Sunday Morning, Venus in Furs and Heroin on the first listen. There's something about the whole ambience Venus in Furs creates that's decandence and lust and desire and deviance in person.
And I think Heroin is a song that's really moved by it's lyrics, i love how it's very slow and mellow at times, and then speeds up (like Lou Reed shot up) and gets freaking manic. The end with all the distortion is also brilliant...ah, "i guess i just don't know".
Sunday Morning is just pretty good, nothing to say about that...
More recently i gave a listen to White Light/Heat, and i really liked the opening track and The Gift. I mean...It's about a bloke that decided he'd mail himself to his ex-girlfriend(?), and the got his head cut open...i don't know what to call this..."childish horror?". I don't know, i just really like it.
This seems like a gem of a band, they were definitely ahead of their time, and i feel they pioneered the whole noise-oriented music scene that came years later.

Last edited by The Fascinating Turnip; 01-10-2010 at 02:31 PM.
The Fascinating Turnip is offline   Reply With Quote