Music Banter - View Single Post - Dieselboy? Who's Dieselboy?!'s Journal
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2010, 11:57 PM   #28 (permalink)
Dieselboy
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine View Post
I think 67/100 is harsh. You already addressed it so you clearly understand that rating an album by comparing it to another one that you hoped it would sound like is not the best system. In my opinion it's the worst possible system. You may not like this as much as Untrue but there's no good reason to compare them.
Judged on its own merits I think the album is worth a lot more than 67/100.

As for the 67, I do tend to grade a little more harshly than most, I feel like, when using number/star grades. To me, 67 is above average, and not bad at all. I mean if you convert that to stars...that's nearly 7/10, ya know? I didn't grade La Roux (my favorite of the year) on here, but if I had then it would have gotten an 85/100 I think...just to give you some perspective I guess.

Looking back, I think you're probably right about the Burial thing. Even if I went in with those hopes, I shouldn't have used the comparison so many times in my review. I don't think it effected my final rating as much as a reader might think, as I gave it many more listens after the initial spin (which is the only time I expected similarities). I'll try not to do that in the future though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine View Post
Anyway, I love the KMS album - but the bigger point is that, if you want some livelier dubstep you need to check out The Bug if you haven't already - just don't compare it to Burial
-_-

I will go look for this. Your taste seems pretty great from what I've seen you post, so I imagine this will be cool, thx.
Dieselboy is offline   Reply With Quote