Music Banter - View Single Post - Harry Potter vs. LOTR
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2010, 05:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Astronomer
we are stardust

How can you even compare the two? I am a fan of both of the series but...

Rowling is actually a terrible writer. In all of the books there are a plethora of grammatical errors and very unaesthetic sentences. Tolkien on the other hand, is a fantastic writer and a brilliant scholar. He was an unbelievable linguist and created his own languages! Rowling just stole a bunch of latin phrases.

LOTR was pretty original for its time, whereas the Harry Potter series seems like a rip-off of everything that came before it. The Dark Lord Sauron vs. The Dark Lord Voldemort... the horcruxes that Harry has to find and destroy verses the rings and the Ring of Power that Frodo has to destroy... etc.

Lord of the Rings to me is a masterpiece, Tolkien was a very intelligent scholar and a brilliant writer. Harry Potter on the other hand, although I grew up with the books and do enjoy them dearly, is nothing compared to LOTR... it's not as epic, not as well-written, not as in-depth as the whole entire universe of Middle Earth that Tolkien created. I mean, look at The Silmarillion.

I don't think they are comparable at all, and if you do compare them, it's an insult to Tolkien IMO.