Music Banter - View Single Post - Harry Potter vs. LOTR
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2010, 07:28 PM   #31 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaSho View Post
<-----

I don't understand why a movie should make changes. Yes, they could easily make a book like HP more theatrical, but my whole reasoning for seeing a movie based on a book, especially one I like as much as HP is to see my favorite events play out.
But the whole point of reading books is using your imagination. The problem with adaptating books is that it doesn't matter how close it follows the book, it still might not play out the way you'd imagine it. So you'll find something to nitpick about no matter what.

So it's pointless, the book already exists, you can already imagine how it would play out in a movie. The reason filmmakers want to adapt books is because they want to do a different take on it, THEIR take on it, show people how THEY would imagine it, how events would play out in THEIR world, do it THEIR way. IMO doing a 100% literal adaptation of anything is pointless. It's like doing a cover song that sounds exactly the same as the original, why do it?

Sometimes giving a big middle finger to the book is the wisest thing a director can do, most of Kubrick's films being great examples. In fact many of the best film adaptations are as different from the book as possible.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.

Last edited by boo boo; 01-11-2010 at 07:34 PM.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote