Music Banter - View Single Post - Kids are Stupid
Thread: Kids are Stupid
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2010, 10:20 AM   #62 (permalink)
FETCHER.
Nae wains, Great Danes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
Exactly, but 'take action' doesn't necessarily mean physical discipline. It's a matter of opinion. Personally, from working with children in the industry so far, I find other means of discipline far more effective in teaching respect.

But like I said, it's a matter of opinion and ultimately up to the parents in choosing what methods they think will effectively discipline and their their children lessons.

This doesn't mean that respect goes exclusively hand-in-hand with physical discipline.

Edit: You also say that plain and simple forms of discipline at a young age don't work. How do you know this? Have you had children or had the responsibility of teaching children about respect? I find it annoying that many people in here who have commented on physical discipline are people probably under 18 years old who don't have children or have never been in an authoritative position where required to discipline a child. I know that other forms of discipline do work because I've used them on children, I've been studying the psychology of children's development for 4 years, and I've been in a classroom full of 20-30 young children who I've had to gain respect from without laying a hand on them.
I can relate to what you're saying about earning a pupils respect without physical discipline. As many of you know I'm a swimming teacher, and kids + water creates ALOT of horseplay within classes. Obviously I'm not allowed to hit the children to I have to discipline them in other ways, and gain respect from them. I also have to earn alot of childrens trust as they obviously panic and distrust the water. I've mostly found that I cannot treat every child the same way, somethings work with some children and somethings really don't work with others. I've learned through trial and error (My course did NOT offer any methods of dicipline, only swimming techniques and stroke analysis! shocking eh?) I'm mostly myself with children, but some children I have to act nasty with otherwise they will walk all over me completely. I've always got to be a little stern to them, and often use methods like separating them up and excluding them from fun activities. I've found that so far (I'm only a rookie) to be the most effective way of keeping them under control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by butthead aka 216 View Post
i havent i refuse to in fact. it triggers my ptsd from yrs ago when i thought my ex's anal beads were those edible candy necklaces
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Rez View Post
Keep it in your pants scottie.
FETCHER. is offline   Reply With Quote